[Python-3000] Help on text editors

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 5 07:53:01 CEST 2006

David Hopwood schrieb:
>> However, there still are separate products for "English Windows XP",
>> "German Windows XP", and so on. You can install a MUI pack only on
>> the English version, and an English version + German MUI is different
>> from the German version: the program files folder is called
>> "Program Files" in the English version (and doesn't get renamed when
>> a MUI package is installed), and is called "Programme" in the German
>> version.
>
> Right, but it is just a registry entry that controls where each user's
> program files directory (in the sense of the default location to install
> *new* programs) is.

Unfortunately, you can't really change it after the installation. You
can change it, but that will affect only new installations. Things
that went into Program Files during initial system setup will stay
there, and can't be moved easily elsewhere.

In any case, my point is that this is hard-coded into the installation
disk in a manner that you can't localize at all, with any supported
procedure. OSX got a step beyond that: While the folder on disk is
always called "Applications", it is rendered with a directory name
of "Programme" if you use the German localization, in the OSX Finder.
While it solves the problem, it is very confusing if you use shell-level
interaction (the shell won't accept "Programme" as a name for that
folder).

Regards,
Martin