[Python-3000] A plea for anonymous functions

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 16 11:10:40 CET 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>      for record in (select table: <generator expression on table>):
>          process record

This is precisely what I had in mind when I referred to "special-cased,
one-off solutions" two posts back.

> if you read my post again, you'll find that I said pretty much the same
> thing as you're saying, minus the "we absolutely must have full support
> for anonymous blocks to be able to do this" part.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is "we absolutely must have
full support for anonblocks to be able to do this *elegantly*", i.e.
while avoiding special-cased solutions. The LINQ special case given
above won't help me in building proper multiprocessing support. Now,
maybe special-cased solutions are preferred to more metaprogramming, in
which case there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D