[Python-3000] Builtin iterator type

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Nov 14 19:53:18 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 13:06, George Sakkis wrote:
 > I understand you are exaggerating (can't believe you are seriously
 > claiming that cmath or traceback are more frequently used than
 > itertools),

I certainly use traceback far more than itertools.  I use traceback
occaissionally, but I've never actually had reason to use itertools at all.

 > but if your objection is on adding yet another builtin,
 > what would be the objection to boosting up the existing iter() to
 > provide  this extra functionality ? This might even be backwards
 > compatible (but even if it's not, that's not a main concern for
 > py-3k).

The real issue seems to be that there's no benefit.  Iterators are nice
because they're composable; that doesn't make the compositions part of the
iterator, though.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>