[Python-3000] Type parameterization (was: Re: Type annotations: annotating generators)

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sun May 21 06:59:52 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 5/20/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
>> As far as how to pick the set of operators, well my notion on that was
>
> I suggest you let this rest for now. We have plenty of existing
> operators, and I'd rather wait for a more compelling reason to add
> more.

I'm sorry to interrupt the resting, but I just wanted to remind
everybody that Numerical computing people would still like a way to
distinguish between "element-by-element" multiplication and tensor
contraction (matrix multiplication).  A new operator could definitely
help the situation.

The existing dance between matrix objects and array objects to reuse the
single "*" operator can get confusing.

-Travis