[Python-3000] State of the object system

Kay Schluehr kayschluehr at gmx.de
Wed May 17 07:00:30 CEST 2006

I wonder what is the current state of type/class unification i.e. "new
style classes"?

The Python 2.5 library reference ( chapter 2.3 ) still states that this
issue is being "far from complete".
( BTW this signals the user that the object system is quite immature and
early alpha. Maybe one should
rethink commenting the current state of development all over the public
docs? )

Since we discuss new features here I would like to listen what people
think about opening builtin types?
So far Python has a protective policy to not let users add a method to
e.g. an int or str. Is there a deeper
design issue or is it for pure implementation/optimization reasons?

Regards