[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:03:02 CEST 2006

On 5/2/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> PyGUI *should* automatically handle tabbing between text fields
> and other controls that you normally type text into. It doesn't
> currently go in for tabbing into buttons and check boxes, which
> has always seemed silly and annoying to me. I might reconsider
> this if it's really what's expected on certain platforms, though.

As a general accessibility issue, there should be some way to reach
and modify all controls.  (Skipping panels and labels is fine, but
skipping buttons and checkboxes can be a problem.  Consider an install
dialogue, where you have to check a box before the Next button becomes
active.)

That said, there is nothing wrong with an express navigation mode that
does skip them, or even with binding <tab> to that express mode by
default.  The catch is that if what you do is too far from the norm,
people will never learn your conventions, and they end up being less
useful in practice.

-jJ