[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon May 1 22:51:08 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006, Bill Janssen wrote:
>Antoine:
>>
>> You cannot assign a
>> global key shortcut to every command, while you can assign a local
>> hotkey to any menu item.
>
> This seems like creeping featurism to me.  I can see the accessibility
> argument, but it is basically asking for the ability to drive an
> interface designed for use with a pointing device, without using a
> pointing device.  I'm not sure this is a reasonable constraint.
>
> Global hot keys are the interface for a user without a pointing
> device; menus are the interface for users with a pointing device.
> This seems like a reasonable design.  Trying to mix modes is asking
> for complexity...

Your point being?  I use Windows, OS X, and Linux.  In all cases, I
strive to maximize my use of the keyboard and minimize my use of pointing
devices.  I think it is entirely reasonable to expect that a GUI toolkit
will at least make it straightforward to implement keyboard-based
commands.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach