[Python-3000] We should write a PEP on what goes into the stdlib

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue Jun 13 15:28:30 CEST 2006

Brett writes:
> That makes me think perhaps we should start thinking about collectively
> coming up with guidelines [...] on deciding what is needed to accept a
> module into the stdlib.

Raymond replies:
> Each case ultimately gets decided on its merits.  Any one reason for
> inclusion or exclusion can be outweighed by some other reason. [...]
> Overly general rules are likely to be rife with
> exceptions and amount to useless administrivia.  I don't think these
> contentious issues can be decided in advance.  The specifics of each case
> are more relevant than a laundry list of generalizations.

I agree. If we have a PEP with rules for acceptance, then every time we
don't follow those rules exactly we will be accused of favoritism. If
we have informal rules like today and decide things on a case-by-case
basis, then everything is fine.

Rather than a formal PEP, how about a wiki page (which is necessarily
less of a formal "rule") that describes a good process to get your
module accepted. The obvious things (release to the community, get wide
usage, be recognized as best-of-breed, agree to donate code, agree to
support for some time) could all be listed there. It's just as easy to
refer someone to a wiki page as it is to refer them to a PEP, but it
doesn't make it seem like we're bound to follow a particular process.

-- Michael Chermside