[Python-3000] A better way to initialize PyTypeObject

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Dec 2 21:18:24 CET 2006

Talin wrote:

> So I don't think it's the case that nobody's even bothered to look at
> Larry's patch

so are you basing your patch on his work?

 > People have looked at the patch and suggested taking a different
 > approach.

really?  I haven't seen much of a consensus for the string-literals
instead of constants approach, especially not from experienced extension
writers.  personally, I think it's butt-ugly, a lot more error-prone
than any alternative, and I also doubt that it'll save much space in
practice.  it also ignores history; the Xt developers tried the same
thing, and ended up adding #define's for all their string literals to
get a least a little help from the compiler...

</F>