[Python-3000] Making more effective use of slice objects in Py3k

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 30 05:18:06 CEST 2006

On 8/29/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Josiah Carlson wrote:
> > This is changing return types based on variable type,
>
> How do you make that out? It seems the opposite to me --
> Guido is saying that the return type of s+t should *not*
> depend on whether s or t happens to be a view rather than
> a real string.

No, I never meant to say that. There's nothing wrong with the type of
x+y depending on the types of x and y. I meant that s+v, v+s and v+w
(s being a string, v and w being views) should all return strings
because -- in general -- they cannot always be views, and I don't want
the return type to depend on the *value* of the inputs.