[Python-3000] Google Sprint Ideas

Talin talin at acm.org
Mon Aug 21 01:42:08 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Without endorsing every detail of his design, tomer filiba has written
> several blog (?) entries about this, the latest being
> http://sebulba.wikispaces.com/project+iostack+v2 . You can also look
> at sandbox/sio/sio.py in svn.

One comment after reading this: If we're going to re-invent the Java/C#
i/o library, could we at least use the same terminology? In particular,
the term "Layer" has connotations which may be confusing in this context
- I would prefer something like "Adapter" or "Filter".

Also, I notice that this proposal removes what I consider to be a nice
feature of Python, which is that you can take a plain file object and
iterate over the lines of the file -- it would require a separate line
buffering adapter to be created. I think I understand the reasoning
behind this - in a world with multiple text encodings, the definition of
"line" may not be so simple. However, I would assume that the "built-in"
streams would support the most basic, least-common-denominator encodings
for convenience.

-- Talin