[Python-3000] threading, part 2

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Aug 14 20:17:14 CEST 2006

On 8/11/06, tomer filiba <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:
> i mailed this to several people separately, but then i thought it could
> benefit the entire group:
>
> http://sebulba.wikispaces.com/recipe+thread2
>
> it's an implementation of the proposed " thread.raise_exc", through an extension
> to the threading.Thread class. you can test it for yourself; if it proves useful,
> it should be exposed as thread.raise_exc in the stdlib (instead of the ctypes
> hack)... and of course it should be reflected in threading.Thread as welll.

Cool. Question: what's the problem with raising exception instances?
Especially in the light of my proposal to use

  raise SomeException(42)

in preference over (and perhaps exclusively instead of)

  raise SomeException, 42

in Py3k. The latter IMO is a relic from the days of string exceptions
which are as numbered as they come. :-)