[Python-3000] sets in P3K?

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue Apr 25 23:16:30 CEST 2006

I think perhaps I'm the the only one who's missing the big joke. At any
rate, I'm going to go ahead and speak up: The Emperor Has No Cloths!

Adding a literal notation for sets may or may not be a good idea (it's
certainly not *necessary*). Adding a literal notation for every built-in
data structure (or every possible data structure) is completely batty.
REMOVING the literal notation for tuples, lists, or dicts is also
completely batty. No, I retract that... it's quite sensible, but it's
just not Python.

Python has simple literal syntax for lists, tuples, and dicts. That's
one of the key ideas that makes it Python.

-- Michael Chermside

PS: Sorry about spoiling the joke.