[Python-3000] Brainstorming: literal construction hooks

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Apr 22 20:49:54 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Unfortunately, all of these schemes break down if you have
> non-identifier characters in attribute or element names, or if you
> want to use namespaces, or if you want to insert entity references,
> XML comments, or other funky stuff like DTDs or processing elements.

a useful design should support non-identifier characters, name-
spaces, and comments/processing instructions, but should other-
wise work on the infoset level (i.e. CDATA sections and entities
doesn't have to be part of this).  not sure about DTD:s; they're
a whole can of works... (but I'm sure E4X etc can provide some
ideas here).

> Also, an important aspect of JavaScript's E4X standard is a standard
> object model. I believe they use a standard DOM style API. In Python
> unfortunately we have many different object models for XML -- minidom,
> ElementTree, and I believe the XML-sig has its own standard (4Suite?).
> I could handle multiple implementations (quack!) but we'd have to pick
> an API -- AFAIK ElementTree and the DOM API are incompatible.

why do you think I posted this to the "literal construction hooks"
thread ? ;-)

</F>