[Python-3000] Changing the import machinery

Osvaldo Santana osantana at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:20:40 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've another subject related to import machinery to add in this
thread. We've discussed about this at py-dev when I found an
inconsistent import/zipimport behavior with .pyc/.pyo compiled
modules:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/057959.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/057983.html

I think that is a good idea to separate the 'optimization' option (-O)
and 'no-docstring' option (-OO).

I would like to +1 the Phillip J. Eby suggestion about
'JUMP_IF_NOT_DEBUG' opcode to remove the requirement of a .pyo file
generation:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/057985.html

Thanks,
Osvaldo

> I'm changing the list and the subject, pulling this quote out of python-dev:
>
> On 4/20/06, in python-dev, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> > I was hoping that for Python 3.0, we could get around to unkludge the
> > sys.path/meta_path/path_hooks/path_importer_cache big ball of hacks,
> > possibly by replacing sys.path with something a bit more intelligent than
> > a plain list.
>
> That's an excellent idea. Are there any volunteers here to help out?
> Even just listing specific use cases / scenarios that are currently
> difficult to solve right would be tremendously helpful. (I think that
> Phillip's and others' experience with setuptools might be very
> useful.)
>
> --

Osvaldo Santana Neto (aCiDBaSe)
icq, url = (11287184, "http://www.pythonbrasil.com.br")