[Python-3000] parameter lists [was: Type Expressions]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Apr 21 13:15:36 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> Recently I found a case where I wanted to return something that was more
> literally *nothing* than a None is.  So maybe a null symbol of some sort
> might be useful in other cases as well?

You're not gonna get something that's a valid expression *and* is more
"nothing" than None.

On a case by case basis there might be syntax indicating the absence
of something that is distinguishable from 'None'; for example, using
*args you can reliaby whether an argument was passed or not (unlike
using None as a default, which can be defeated by passing an explicit
None). But a generic NULL won't be part of the language.