[Python-3000] auto-super()

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Apr 19 10:10:30 CEST 2006

On 4/19/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> On the contrary, it's precisely when you *don't* know
> what classes are going be mixed in with you that super()
> is likely to go haywire. Your super() call ends up
> calling a method that you know nothing about, and
> the method being called isn't expecting to be called
> in that context either. Whether that will do the
> "right" thing, or whether there even is a right thing
> to be done, is anybody's guess.

Um, you don't seem to be familiar with the theory of cooperative
method calls I believe I cited the book from which I got this in some
original writings regarding new-style classes (no time to look it up
right now). It may not work too well in Python due to lack of
enforcement, but in theory it is sound.