[Python-3000] Will we have a true restricted exec environmentfor python-3000?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 11 18:45:39 CEST 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> So I hear there's long been the ability to make multiple interpreters at
> the C level -- used by mod_python and presumably used in some other
> embedding situations -- but this has never been exposed at the Python
> level.  I'm curious why that never happened?  Merely inertia, or
> something more significant?

Part of the problem is that it doesn't really work. Some objects *are*
shared across interpreters, such as global objects in extension modules
(extension modules are initialized only once). I believe that the
GIL management code (for acquiring the GIL out of nowhere) breaks if
there are multiple interpreters.

Regards,
Martin