[Python-3000] Will we have a true restricted exec environmentfor python-3000?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 11 05:01:04 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> So I think this is another, distinct use case for
> wanting a "nested" Python environment. Here the goal
> isn't to protect against a malicious user, since the
> user running the application and the user doing the
> scripting are the same person. Rather, it's just
> to reduce the likelihood of accidentally messing
> things up, and to present the user with a much
> simpler programming environment than the whole
> application. So the requirements are far less
> strict, and if there were a few holes in places,
> it wouldn't matter so much.

So I hear there's long been the ability to make multiple interpreters at
the C level -- used by mod_python and presumably used in some other
embedding situations -- but this has never been exposed at the Python
level.  I'm curious why that never happened?  Merely inertia, or
something more significant?

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org