[pytest-dev] [core] Tidelift Funding

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu May 2 03:44:02 EDT 2019

Hey,

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:25:58PM -0300, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> there were no obligations whatsoever after joining the platform other than
> "maintain the project", which they were already doing anyway. There's no
> obligation to market the platform in anyway as well (say, being forced to
> put their logo on the website).

Their website says otherwise:

https://tidelift.com/docs/lifting/marketing

"At Tidelift, we're working with maintainers to jointly create a product. As
with any product offering, we need to tell people the product exists."

"When you sign up to lift a package and get paid, we're asking for you to keep
a mention of the Tidelift Subscription at minimum on your project's main "home
page"—whether that's a dedicated website or simply a README on GitHub. We're
flexible about the exact wording and format, and happy to consult with you on
it."

"But the main reason is that we do need to tell potential subscribers about the
product, so they can support you by buying it!"

Not sure if I want to think of pytest as a product which should be bought by
subscribers ;)

There's also some other "tasks" - not that I'd disagree with them being a good
thing, but it's way more than "no obligations whatsoever" (like looking at
their dependency scanner, and disclosing security vulnerabilities to them in
their dashboard): https://tidelift.com/docs/lifting/tasks-overview

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)