[pytest-dev] the potential need to release 4.0 instead of 3.1, proposal

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue May 16 15:37:01 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 07:13:24PM +0000, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM Ronny Pfannschmidt <
> opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:
>
> > with the recent discovery of
> > https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/2398 which was a result of
> > accidentally introducing object as base class in pytest-2.9.1 via
> > https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/1486
> >
> > since https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/2179 , which will go
> > into pytest-3.1 does the "same"
> > i propose considering this as breaking change (since there are subtle
> > differences on the python 2 side after all)
> >
> > while doing that we can also gracefully resolve the regression by
> > documenting the earlier accidental change and the new expectations.
> >

> Any thoughts on this proposal? I would like to release the new version this
> week if possible, so it would be nice to get this discussion going. :)

No strong feelings from my side. I can kind of see both "we should
follow semver, so this should be 4.0", and "if this is called 4.0,
people might hesitate to upgrade even if it doesn't affect them".

That being said, after having a pytest 2.7 and 3.x, it'd be nice to
finally resolve the confusion between pytest and python's version
numbering :D

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)