[pytest-dev] transfer repo / pypi access / ML announce

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:27:25 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> I am a bit concerned that people who transfer repos to pytest-dev think
> that it receives magic maintenance because this relevant section in the docs
>

> http://doc.pytest.org/en/latest/contributing.html#submitting-plugins-to-pytest-dev
>
> is not very explicit about it, even says "sharing some of the maintenance
> responsibility".  I suggest we explicitely say that maintainers are
> generally expected to continue maintaining their plugins.

No problem at all with changing the wording to make it more explicit. FWIW
so far most plugins in which I took care of the transfer continued to be
actively developed by their maintainers.

And how about having a "pytest-dev" user which has release rights on pypi
> for all pytest-dev plugins?  The credentials could be shared in a file in
> our public repo, encrypted to known GPG public keys. Speaking of which, we
> could collect gpg keys of contributors in another file.

Not sure, we need a "pytest-dev" user... isn't there a chance it might get
compromised?

Also, don't we need just usernames to add release rights to packages on
PyPI?

lastly, if we had a pure pytest-announce mailing list we could announce new
> pytest-dev plugins (from time to time) and releases there. We can certainly
> get that list on python.org.

As a person which occasionally discovers new plugins by browsing
plugincompat, if pytest-announce would be the place for people to announce
new plugins I would certainly subscribe to it. In my experience people
don't usually announce new plugins in TIP, and I don't subscribe to
announce because I couldn't keep track of all emails there.

Cheers,
Bruno.