[pytest-dev] ANN: pytest-external-blockers - prototype released

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Wed Oct 19 11:21:46 EDT 2016

On 4 October 2016 at 18:18, Ronny Pfannschmidt <rpfannsc at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm happy to announce the release of pytest-external-blockers [0]
> it was created in order to be able to semantically track for what reasons a
> test was skipped
>
> a normal `pytest.skip` doesn't offer a semantic difference between "skipped
> for a local reason" and "skipped for a external reason"
>
> so we choose to pick a new verb.
> that way every dynamic "skip" that happens for a external reason (like
> database down, known to be broken tests, unavailable network service) can be
> identified.
>
> In future i want to extend this concept to xfail.
>
> I'm hoping for some harsh critique :)

This plugin is essentially trying to extend the possible outcomes, but
it needs to piggyback the skip exception for integration with the core
test running logic?  It would be nice if you could subclass the
exception from a more generic pytest.OutcomeException or so instead.
Otherwise I think I don't dislike what the plugin itself does too much
;-)

Floris