[pytest-dev] creating pytest-boxed and removing boxed from xdist

oliver oliver.schoenborn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 20:16:22 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016, 18:57 Bruno Oliveira <nicoddemus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM oliver <oliver.schoenborn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Is there any plan to port boxed and xdist plugins to Windows? What are the
> issues that have prevented implementation from happening (or happening
> sooner, if planned)?
>

> Hey,
>
> The boxed implementation depends on os.fork, which is not available on
> Windows. But except for --boxed, xdist works just fine on Windows.
>
> A common question is "Why not use a sub-process instead?" One of the
> reasons is that is not really simple to serialize and send the collected
> tests on a wire to a subprocess, so xdist uses fork to spawn a child
> sharing the same memory and control it from master in case it crashes.

Thanks for info. Just trying to see if I could help with this... "send the
collected tests...  to a subprocess" and "control [subprocess]  from master
in case it crashes" are not that difficult on Windows, is there some deeper
problem or other requirement that is headache?

I think I read someone mention that the "slave restart" functionality is
> considered a good enough replacement for boxed,

This covers recovery after a test crashes the suite, but AFAICT it doesn't
support isolating a test from all the other tests so no sharing of memory
space, or to test mutually exclusive import configurations etc, does it?

Oliver

> --
Oliver