[pytest-dev] Request to bundle Pytest-finer-verdicts as a default plugin with pytest

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath rvprasad at cis.ksu.edu
Mon Jun 27 12:22:43 EDT 2016

Hey All,

I appreciate the inputs.

A couple of clarifications.

   - I developed the plugin based on my experience with nosetest and pytest
   while teaching a software testing course.  I plan to use it in the future
   editions of the course.  For this purpose, the plugin suffices in its
   current form -- features and distribution.
   - The intention to move to pytest-dev is not to off load maintenance.  I
   plan to maintain the plugin.  [It is so simple :)]
   - Since verdicts are core of xunit frameworks, I figured having
   pytest-finer-verdicts as a default plugin might be useful to others; even
   if it needs to enabled explicitly (via CLI options).
   - IIRC, the plugin is really four lines of modification to
   pytest_runtest_makereport function in pytest.  It was set up this way as
   this was the best way (I could figure out) to inject the desired
   functionality into pytest.

All said, I am fine to wait for wider adoption of the plugin before we
integrate it into pytest.  I am fine if we want leave it as non-default
plugin.  I understand and respect these decisions.

So, for now, I'll shelf this issue (and withdraw my request) until there is
interest from the community.

Cheers,

Venkatesh-Prasad Ranganath
http://about.me/rvprasad