[pytest-dev] RFC: pytest sprint indiegogo page (draft)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Feb 3 08:57:05 EST 2016

Hi Brianna,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 23:01 +1100, Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put some ideas here previously
> https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/wiki/2016-dev-sprint

yes, saw them and used some of them in the campaign draft.

> In particular, I saw an idea once which I thought was clever, in cases like
> this where there is little in the way of material offers. You can have
> several perks at the same level, and treat them as "votes".  "If 10 people
> support at this level, we will do X." In this case, I thought these could
> be "votes" for a broad area of focus, such as
> - Speed/performance/xdist
> - plugins
> - 'unloved corners' (Unicode/Windows/doctests)
> - documentation
> - resolving pytest/py.test (maybe??!)
>
> Of course that wouldn't mean it's the only thing that gets done, but it is
> a small way people can influence what happens.

TBH I want us to get some general support for doing a sprint without much
attached. We have provided already a lot for free what is used by ten-thousands
of companies and individuals.

But if we go for voting let's keep it for three options, maybe:

- speed/performance/xdist
- improved fixture system
- documentation, more examples

?

> Including some photos may be nice too
> https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/wiki/Meetings

I did include the pytest logo and the group picture we took at fosdem or
EP2015. It just doesn't show in the draft, does it?

> Holger, I think it would be useful if you explicitly say you are the
> founder of pytest and give some context of your authority for the casual
> reader :)

i mentioned it know in "role".

> Also I think tying it a 3.0 release would be a pleasing target!

Makes sense. Maybe even as a tag line "pytest-sprint 2016, accelerate
pytest-3.0"?

best,
holger