[pytest-dev] Moving catchlog to pytest-dev (was: Re: pytest-capturelog status/merging to core?)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Nov 9 03:52:15 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 06:24 +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> * Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> [2015-10-20 06:20:42 +0200]:
> > * Arthur Skowronek <eisensheng at mailbox.org> [2015-10-19 23:17:24 +0200]:
> > > It would be nice if the plugin could stay separated from the core package.
> > > At least I am a huge fan of the modular plugin system as it can be found in
> > > pytest.  I find such a modular design more preferable compared to a
> > > monolithic project that comes with everything attached. Such a large project
> > > makes it harder for users to track what was changed between versions and
> > > keep track of changes important to them.  They don't need to care at all if
> > > the API was changed but they don't use the plugin.
> > >
> > > Also different contributors stated that they still would like to improve the
> > > code base and add more functionality.  It would be nice to give them their
> > > freedom to break the API if necessary to create something even more usable
> > > with a sleeker API.  I'm looking forward to it.
> >
> > I used to have a different stance on this - but after reconsidering, I
> > agree it'd be best to have a "recommended" plugin (i.e. catchlog, as
> > it's maintained and under pytest-dev) rather than merge things into
> > core.
>
> Backwards compatibility is restored and eisensheng released 1.2.0 - so
> I think everything is ready to move pytest-catchlog to pytest-dev now.
>
> Of course +1 from my side - any objections and/or a second +1 please?
> ;)

I noticed that there now also is a pytest-logging release from Pedro Algarvio:

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-logging

which adds to the confusion around logging and pytest, unfortunately.

I haven't used pytest-catchlog myself yet but intend to do so.
It'd be great if eisenheng or you could get in contact with Pedro
and see how we can all arrive in a situation which is less confusing
to users, somewhat independently from the question of merging catchlog
into pytest-dev.

holger

about me:    http://holgerkrekel.net/about-me/
contracting: http://merlinux.eu