[pytest-dev] release checklist / de-monopolizing release process

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Mar 26 14:23:23 CET 2015

One afterthought: i struggle a bit to find a good workflow especialy
related to docs.

There are some changes to the docs which are release independent,
for example updating the current header info for "Adopt pytest month".

And there are changes which go together with not yet released code changes.

If we assume that pytest-2.7.X will be "bugfix only" we could
tie its doc target to "latest" and ask everybody who does doc enhancements
to target their PRs to "latest".

And for pytest-2.8 (trunk?) we'd put it to "dev".

This means that even little feature additions or changes in behaviour
would neccessarily need to go to pytest-2.8.  In the past, i have
allowed such little additions where i was pretty sure they wouldn't break
things into micro releases (working MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO naming here).

With pytest-2.7.0 a lot of the internal hook calling machinery changed
along with new hookwrapping mechanisms -- given the many plugins and
hook usages in test suites this is a bit of a risky change and therefore
i bumped the minor number.

Thoughts or opinions on this welcome.

Whatever we come up with, we may update "contributing.txt"
to reflect "PR targets".

best,
holger