[pytest-dev] github push notification / pytest channel

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jun 23 15:50:26 CEST 2015

* holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> [2015-06-23 13:43:47 +0000]:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 14:25 +0100, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > On 20 June 2015 at 16:37, Anatoly Bubenkov <bubenkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How about slack for notifications and chat?

> > Could gitter bridge bi-directionally with IRC on freenode?   There is
> > also webchat.freenode.net btw, maybe we should add that to the docs as
> > well?
> >
> > As for slack, not sure if that's very suitable as it's not really
> > designed as a public service so you'd have to sign up people.  I guess
> > the feature people like is that it preserves history.  I'm also not a
> > huge fan of keeping adding closed products into the workflow/community
> > of a free software projects to be honest.  But I guess IRC must be
> > pretty alien to many people.
>
> FWIW i am unlikely to participate in another communication channel
> and generally agree on minimizing the usage of proprietary services.
> What's bad about IRC and freenode which is kind of a standard for
> open source developments?

I agree - I won't use Gitter (unless their IRC bridge which is "very
much beta" actually works). Looking at Gitter chats for some random
Python projects (at https://gitter.im/explore/tags/python ) there are
a lot of them where it's very quiet.

I really don't see how it would be more difficult to use the Freenode
webchat compared to Gitter.

Florian