[pytest-dev] [RFC] some initial ideas for pylib-2.0

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Feb 21 20:01:34 CET 2015

Hi Ronny,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 19:46 +0100, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'd like to start some very rough planing for pylib 2.0
> hoping for some comments
>
> main going a bit far things i currently have in mind
>
> * kill py.std
> * kill most of terminalwriter
> * move code/capture/saferepr to pytest ?
> * kill svn path (its broken and nobody fixes it)
> * de-vendorize apipkg/iniparse
> * kill xml gen
> * unify errors and the new python3 error hierachy
> * modernize py.builtin using six, potential api changes where six
> raises attribute errors
>
> * evaluate log, potentially kill?
> * refactor local path, consider pathlib
>
> this is a long term plan

I consider pylib to be more or less EOLed (at end-of-life) apart from
occasional minor fixes.  Changing and removing things from py will break
dependend tools and i don't think that's worth the trouble.

As far as pytest and tox are concerned i suggest (if anything) to reduce
usage and dependency on pylib to the point where it can be removed as a
dependency.  This way there is no breaking combination of py/pytest
ever.  One area that indeed would make sense to move first is py.code.*
because it's really quite pytest-specific code and we typically need to
release a new py to fix exception/formatting related bugs for pytest.
Even then i'd not remove it from pylib, just not use it anymore from pytest
(and it's rarely used by others, special attention for PyPy needed, though)

cheers,