[pytest-dev] Is it valid to use --boxed with --capture=no?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Sep 25 11:19:16 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:06 +0100, David Röthlisberger wrote:
> Is it valid to use --boxed with --capture=no? It fails with
> UnicodeEncodeError. More details at
> https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/pytest/issue/573 but I'm asking here since I
> haven't received an anwer on the bitbucket issue in a month. :-)

Maybe because "unicode" appeared in the issue description :)

The "--boxed" option does its own stdout/stderr capturing and i think
"--capture=no" does not influence it properly.  I guess it needs to
be fixed in pytest-xdist (which implements --boxed).

In any case, could you please update the issue using the latest
pytest-2.6.3 and pytest-xdist-1.11?

> The reason I want to do that is that I'm looking into using pytest as
> the test-runner for my (open source) system for testing set-top boxes &
> TVs, and I need to capture (and timestamp) the std{err,out} logs myself.
> Some more background on that at
> http://stb-tester.com/blog/2014/09/25/upcoming-features-new-test-runner.html

I read the post but not sure i understand the exact requirements.
Do you need to timestamp the captured output as one big thing or per line?
Could you give a somewhat real-life example of what you would like to customize
in a pytest run?

best,