[pytest-dev] Setting up tox

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Apr 17 00:56:05 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 17:58 -0400, Brianna Laugher wrote:
> On 16 April 2014 17:43, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
>
> > No, i mean that "python3.3" should be on the path because tox.ini
> > defines that tests should work against the "py33" environment which
> > implies a working "python3.3" interpreter.  How you invoke "runtox.py"
> > is a different thing and it does need tox installed in the interpreter
> > you are invoking the script with.
> >

> So, what is the answer?
> 1) Install multiple pythons in a single virtualenv, somehow

no.  You cannot really install multiple python version..

> 2) Install tox system-wide, in which case how does it know about my
> development version of py.test? (from current working dir?)

> The contributing guide does say to install tox in the virtualenv. I am
> happy to update it...once I know what I am actually supposed to do.

I usually install tox in a virtualenv itself.  If i then run tox, it
will create its own separate virtualenv environments and it uses the
tox.ini-specified python interpreters for creating them.  tox will
then install pytest in those separate virtualenvs and then execute
the commands specified in tox.ini.  From your output it seems that
this successfully worked for python2.7 but not for python3.3 and i
suspected this is because "python3.3" is not in your PATH environment
varaible and therefore tox cannot find it.

hope this clarifies and sorry for failing to explain this more properly,
holger