[pytest-dev] [TIP] pytest - parametrizing some arguments require parametrization at collection phase and some at setup time?

Elizabeth Lin elin at splunk.com
Fri Apr 5 19:08:26 CEST 2013

Hi Holger,

Thanks for responding! Comments inline below.

On 4/4/13 11:14 PM, "holger krekel" <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

>Hi Elizabeth,
>
>And sorry for taking a while but i am still not sure i fully understand.
>I am pretty sure we can find a solution but i'd like to find one that
>fits the problem :)
>
>Could you clarify your problem purely from the test function side?
>Particularly, if you have this test:
>
>    @params([
>        ['color', 'type'],
>        { 'argvalues': [ 'blue', 'cat'] },
>        { 'argvalues': ['pink', 'dog'] }
>    ])
>    def test_example(myfixture, color, type):
>        # this is the new test we want to add
>        assert 0
>
>do i understand it right that ``myfixture`` should be indirectly
>created by using ["std", "pro"] as respective parameters because
>there is a @params decorator? And that for

Yes, myfixture should be indirectly created when we call
metafunc.parametrize to pass in ["std", "pro"] as parameters, but only for
specific tests - in this case the tests generated should be:
- std, blue, cat
- std, pink, dog
- pro, blue, cat
- pro, pink dog

>    def test_something(myfixture):
>        # existing test which only uses std fixture
>        assert 0
>
>you only want ``myfixture`` created with the "std" parameter?

Yes, that's correct.  So only test should be
- std

>And that for:
>
>    @params([
>        {'arg1': 1, 'arg2': 2},
>        {'arg1': 3, 'arg2': 5}
>    ])
>    def test_old_style(arg1, arg2):
>        # existing tests which don't use fixtures
>        assert 0
>
>you don't want any "myfixture" created at all?

Also correct.  Generated tests should be
- 1, 2
- 3, 5

Cheers,
Liz