[py-dev] maybe just a split, no rename (was: renaming py and py.test)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Jul 14 10:46:02 CEST 2010

hi all,

so apart from the feedback here i talked to Ronny, James and Thomas
on IRC and it seems to me not one person welcomes a complete rename.

Rather i consider now just going for a split  py -> pylib, pytest
and maybe also "pytools" (the py.cleanup etc. helpers).

Somehow the packages would need to share the "py." namespace,
probably not too difficult.  No test or pylib-depending
code would need to change and there could be a compatibility
"py" package that depends on pylib/pytest/pytools.

Would be mostly work for me and packaging/distribution maintainers,
i guess.

best,

holger