[py-dev] py.test and editors (Re: [issue57] Emacs and py.test tracebacks)

Ralf Schmitt schmir at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:57:14 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

>> What about removing some magic and using a standard setup.py?
>
> that's a good idea, i think.
>
> Actually i'd like to have a (generated or manually written for
> now) setup.py that plays along nicely with setuptools.
> Maybe it'S good if it also works without setuptools?

I would rather use setuptools. You could remove the whole py/bin/win32
directory as setuptools will create an .exe for each script.
It's also easier to include data files, and makes development easier
by being able to install the package in-place (python setup.py
develop).

However, it's also possible to create a standard distutils setup.py,
which works with setuptools easy_install (you basically already have
it) and which allows building a binary package for windows.

> What do you think about starting a branch (based on release/0.9.x)
> to get it towards such a state?

Yes, why not. You want me to donate some spare time to work on it?

What do you think about distributing the greenlet module as it's own package?
Do you know about http://pypi.python.org/pypi/greenlet/?
(I've recently tried the eventlet library, which specifies the above
as a dependency).

Regards,
- Ralf