[py-dev] py.test munging strings in asserts?

Brian Dorsey brian at dorseys.org
Mon Apr 24 06:58:18 CEST 2006

On 22/04/06, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
> this was also discussed a bit on #pylib with carl ... i think
> we should rather not truncate the output by default unless
> we have a more exact method like showing diffs intelligently.

One small thing: I believe the reason it truncates now is because,
sometimes applications compare strings that are so long that printing
them out essentially locks up the terminal.

So, I definately agree that showing intelligent diffs would be great,
but even without that, I think some form of truncation should be the
default. Perhaps with a switch to remove it - perhaps --no-magic
already does that?

Take care,
  -Brian