[py-dev] Hi! And py.log :-)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun Oct 2 22:01:42 CEST 2005

Hi Francois!

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 15:58 -0400, François Pinard wrote:
> Hi, people.  I just subscribed to py-dev at codespeak.  The page at:
>
>    http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/06/keyword-based-logging-with-py-library.html
>
> says:
>
>    If you think you can use the keyword-based approach to logging in
>    your own application code, or if you have a use case that you would
>    like to see implemented via py.log, or if you have any suggestions at
>    all, please leave a comment here of send email to py-dev at codespeak
>    dot net.
>
> So here! :-)

:-)

> I'm preparing to clean up a big Python application which, among other
> things, (ab)uses the concept of logging, with many complex, over-loaded
> logging routines.  My guess is that cleaning this single aspect, if done
> properly, would significantly reduce the amount of noise in the source
> code of this application, and so, somehow increase its legibility.
>
> I'm always starving for clean, simple design, and this is how I got
> interested in `py.log'.  Am I welcome at discussing logging issues here,
> in the context of `py.log', as they will pop up in our adventure?

Yes, it is.  Actually the logging API is still quite
experimental so your feedback is most welcome.  In fact, there
are two logging APIs. The current approach has a global
dispatching mechanism that maps produced messages to
consumers.  Grig has described that in his blog.

The new experimental approach is less dynamic and has a single
entry "py.log.get(loggername, chan1=consumer, ...)" but it is
not documented, unfortunately.  I guess i need to make my mind
up about the right approach.  But for the time being, i'd suggest
just forgetting about py.log.get() and sticking to the more
documented approach.

cheers,