[py-dev] py.test and darcs

Michael Twomey micktwomey at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:24:32 CEST 2005

On 5/2/05, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:

> Michael, if you can investigate/double-check that '_darcs' is indeed
> commonly used then i am happy to add it to the list of default
> ignored directories.

Yes, I can confirm that darcs uses _darcs to store all it's data
(including a pristine copy of the code). The darcs manual mentions
_darcs frequently, http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/

GNU arch does the same using a {arch} top level directory. Both could
change their behaviour in the future to store different data or no
pristine copies, but I don't see a situation where we would want
py.test traversing these directories (arch in particular, it keeps
exceptionally large directory trees under {arch}). The arch manual
mentions {arch} too
(http://regexps.srparish.net/tutorial-tla/arch.html).

Excluding _darcs and {arch} should speed up test collection and avoid
nasty clashes with pristines.

A simple test with a single test_foo.py in an arch checkout (with a
fairly large collection of patches and pristines inside {arch}) shows
that adding {arch} to the excluded directories slashes test time from
an average of 1.5 seconds to 0.5 seconds.

cheers,
  Michael