[py-dev] any chance of py working from a zip?

Kevin Dangoor dangoor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:19:31 CEST 2005

I would like to get py.test (in particular) working from an "egg" (a
zip file with metadata) for easy distribution with other packages that
are tested with py.test. Creating the egg required a trivial change to
py/misc/_dist.py. However, attempting to run py.test fails for me

  File "build/bdist.darwin-8.1.0-Power_Macintosh/egg/py/test/config.py",
line 91, in loadconfig
  File "build/bdist.darwin-8.1.0-Power_Macintosh/egg/py/test/config.py",
line 206, in importconfig
  File "build/bdist.darwin-8.1.0-Power_Macintosh/egg/py/path/local/local.py",
line 357, in pyimport
py.error.ENOENT: [No such file or directory]:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/py-0.8.0_alpha2-py2.4.egg/py/test/defaultconftest.py

It's attempting to do a file lookup on something within
py-0.8.0_alpha2-py2.4.egg, which is not going to work since that's a
zip file.

Am I correct in assuming that the package handling tricks within py
basically mean that py.test simply won't be able to run from within a
zipfile?

If it's just the configuration part that has an issue, that may be a
manageable problem to solve, but I wanted to see what people here
thought, since I haven't looked deeply at the packaging of py.

Thanks!
Kevin