[pypy-dev] funding/popularity?

Dima Tisnek dimaqq at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 06:51:39 CET 2010

I sort of figured it out, although I don't have a ready solution.

This affects opera 11, stable ff, ff 4.0b7; amazingly it does not affect ie8.
Basically memory consumption of the plot appears to be proportional to
plot area.
Normal plot that you get by default at
http://speed.pypy.org/comparison/ costs about 100M of browser memory
consumption:
opera 130M, stable ff 70M, beta ff 90M at window size 1680x1050;
opera  80M, stable ff 55M, beta ff 70M at window size 1024x600;
Switching to "horizontal" produces a tall plot of same width and costs
about 300~700M of browser memory:
opera 720M, stable ff 370M, beta ff 370M at window wize 1680x1050;
opera 350M, stable ff 370M, beta ff 370M at window size 1024x600;

Suprisingly window size only matters while javascript produces the
plot, and not when window is resized, even though plot it resized with
the window correctly.

This alone is pretty heavy, but doesn't grind the browser.
What really grinds is that every time you change a tickbox on the
left, a plot is redrawn and another 200M of browser memory is wasted.
This is not double buffering, as next change adds yet another 200M or
so and so on, it appears that either js doesn't free something, or
browser caches or saves the previous page state.

As memory consumption grows, at some point browser hits the wall,
causes heavy swapping for some time, and I think garbage collection,
because practical (but not virtual) memory usage first drops to
something like 20~50M and then returns to "normal" 300M.
opera ~30 seconds, stable ff about a minute, beta ff several minutes
(total system mem 1G, cpu Atom @1.6GHz)

Perhaps OS also plays a role in the grind, as it is clearly swapping
and swaps out too much? or triggers gc too late and gc has to pull the
pages back from disk to perform collection?

ie8 doesn't use that much memory, as a matter of fact memory
consumption starts little (40M) and changes very little (only +10M) if
you go to horizonatal view; the price is very slow rendering, more
than 10 seconds per column change.

I'll post this on firefox bugzilla too, let's see if someone has a solution.

Meanwhile perhaps pypy speed center could start with a smaller plot
area (or fewer columns as that makes horizontal plot smaller) to
accomodate varying hardware and system mem usage that users might
have?
The simplest would be a warning next to "horizontal" checkbox.