[pydotorg-www] Code of Conduct for wiki usage?

Alex Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Sat May 4 09:05:00 EDT 2019

With this added context, I think I understand where you are coming from a
lot more.

> > > * The "What Users Are Saying" section may (unproven) be using quotes
> > > not from users of the software, which (if true) would be
> > > misrepresenting those people
> >
> > I will bite my tongue on this allegation, but it suffices to say this
does
> > not hold much water for me in THIS email.
>
> What do you mean?

... consider this part retracted with the additional context you provided.
On it's face it looked like you might have been misrepresenting the project
author, but that is unlikely given the context.  I apologize.

> > > * The overall tone of the page tends towards the caustic and divisive.
> >
> > Where you see caustic, I see tongue-in-cheek.
>
> Perhaps. If that were the only complaint, I wouldn't care.
>
> > > I'm not comfortable with the project in its current state, but am
> > > unsure what, if any, rules have been violated. Seeking advice.
> >
> > The wiki entry didn't violate any rules.  The page you linked is on a
> > Microsoft/GitHub server, not a PSF one.  Does the CoC apply to literally
> > anyone anywhere that uses python, then?  Isn't that a little extreme?  I
> > don't remember seeing that in the python license.
>
> I'm more thinking along the lines of "does the Python wiki want to
> encourage this by linking to it", since the CoC does (confirmed by M-A
> L) apply to the wiki itself. We can't take down the page, but if it is
> offensive, we can choose to de-list it on the wiki. My apologies, I
> should have been clearer on that point.
>
> But if you feel that it's not a problem, then fine.

I actually do see this as a sticky issue.  The python community code of
conduct is fairly vague.  The Contributor Code of Conduct is fairly
explicit, however, if this were a criminal proceeding... I don't think the
evidence exists to say that this is an obvious breach of either CoC.  It
looks like a carefully constructed troll.  That in itself would be enough to
call it a CoC violation if the trolling happened on PSF infrastructure, or a
PSF controlled github repo.  The page linked from the wiki includes symbols
some find offensive, but lacks context of intent - which makes me think the
user in question is a troll.  The link you posted which provided additional
context shows the user is a troll.

I kind of want to remove the link, but I don't know if it qualifies as a CoC
violation by the wording of either CoC.