[pydotorg-www] Using the python.org www repository with git

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:38:06 CEST 2012

Has anyone used git-svn with the pydotorg repository? I'm having a bit
of trouble cloning the repository (aka checking it out); am hoping I
don't have to hunt down a Windows svn client.

$ git svn clone -s svn+ssh://pydotorg@svn.python.org/trunk/beta.python.org pywww
Initialized empty Git repository in c:/pywww/.git/
Using higher level of URL:
svn+ssh://pydotorg@svn.python.org/trunk/beta.python.org =>
svn+ssh://pydotorg@svn.python.org
W: Ignoring error from SVN, path probably does not exist: (160013):
Filesystem has no item: File not found: revision 100, path
'/trunk/beta.python.org'
W: Do not be alarmed at the above message git-svn is just searching
aggressively for old history.
This may take a while on large repositories
Checked through r8600

At this point it stalled for a long time (not sure how long, but long
enough that I was wondering if it had died completely - probably ten
minutes or more). Then after a while it silently gave me back a
prompt. However, the new pywww directory has about 25KB in it, which
is not nearly enough for even current status, much less history.

$ git status
# On branch master
#
# Initial commit
#
nothing to commit (create/copy files and use "git add" to track)

$ git log
fatal: bad default revision 'HEAD'

Have I done something hopelessly wrong? If nobody knows what's going
on, I'll switch to a "real" Subversion client, but it would be more
convenient to work this way.

I'm currently re-cloning the repository without the -s (standard
setup) option, to see if that makes any difference.

Chris Angelico