[pydotorg-www] disoriented on first visit to site (fwd)

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Mon Mar 14 16:09:55 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:01, Radomir Dopieralski <sheep at sheep.art.pl> wrote:

>>    skip> I was a bit confused by this guy's note to webmaster.  At first I
>>    skip> thought he was having PyPI problems, but now I think he's having
>>    skip> Mailman problems.
>>
>>    skip> Is there a PyPI developer on the pydotorg(-www)? mailing list who
>>    skip> can triage in case it is PyPI-related?
>>
>> After reading his mail again I think maybe he's having wiki issues.  Talk
>> about a generic problem report.  Reminds me of Julia Sweeney's character
>> "Pat" on SNL.  You just can't tell!  :-)
>
> I looked into the error log for the wiki, and I see a number of entries like:
>
> [Mon Mar 14 15:33:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] mod_wsgi
> (pid=13236): Exception occurred processing WSGI script
> '/data/moin/moin.wsgi'.
> [Mon Mar 14 15:33:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] IOError:
> failed to write data
>
> Unfortunately there is no full traceback, so it's hard to tell why it
> is throwing an IOError...

Might it have to do with the following (from thread "Re:
[pydotorg-www] Wiki theme enhancements (Re: Upgrades completed)")?

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:33, Radomir Dopieralski <sheep at sheep.art.pl> wrote:
> I also created a new user "moin" and made the moin wsgi process run as
> it, for clarity.

Are all the wiki file ownership and permissions set properly for this change?

In the past, we've seen problems from file ownership/permission issues
(e.g. not matching the process).

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>