[pydotorg-www] Repeated outages of python.org

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Mon Jul 25 13:00:54 CEST 2011

On 25/07/2011 11:52, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>> On 25/07/2011 10:10, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> Hi Michael,

>>> I was only talking about the archives, not making it a private
>>> list altogether.
>> Sure, but losing public archives, and the ability to use search engines
>> to search the archives is a big loss.
>>
>> We don't make the archives of other public lists private because someone
>> sent an email they shouldn't have done - in fact we generally refuse to
>> even remove those emails from the archive.
> Right, but this mailing list is special in the sense that it
> discusses an important piece of the Python infrastructure.
>
> Unlike other mailing lists where such leakage usually only has impact
> on the one accidentally sending it, it can cause potential harm to
> the PSF servers in case of this list.

Does the information leaked present a real risk? I have a very strong
preference for keeping the archives public unless we absolutely have to.
I'd rather offending messages were scrubbed from the archive than the
list archives made private.

> BTW: How often do you actually search on this mailing list ?

What I often do is browse the archives, having to log in is a nuisance.
I also link to discussions on the list - making them private effectively
prevents that as people have to join the  list just to view the
archives. Occasionally when I can't find a particular discussion I use
search to find it.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--