[pydotorg-www] Fwd: Re: Connection problems with IPv6 - persistent for more than a month now

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 13 18:57:11 CET 2011

>>     If you need any additional information to help resolve these
>>     issues please let me know.

Hi Matthew,

Traditionally, the problem you are describing indicates issues with Path
MTU Discovery.

My theory is this: on your path to python.org, some hop is not capable
of supporting the full MTU (1500 bytes), most likely some IPv4 tunnel.
The router that detects the problem sends out an ICMPv6 error message,
which then gets incorrectly filtered out on its path back. To resolve
the problem, we need to find the node on which the error message is
dropped.

If I had your IPv6 address, I could try to trace it from our end.
You may want to respond to me personally with this information, not to
the list.
If you want to trace it yourself, you can use tracepath6 or traceroute6
with varying packet sizes.

HTH,
Martin