[pydotorg-www] Two problematic pages

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:54:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:00 AM, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> There are two pages that I'd like to get rid of, but am dithering about:
>
> * http://www.python.org/doc/newstyle/ claims:
>
>      Unfortunately, new-style classes have not yet been integrated into
>      Python's standard documention. Fear not, however; many people have
>      worked to provide useful information on creating and using new-style
>      classes.
>
>  Is this still true?  Are the resources linked from that page still useful?

CCed to docs.

> * A lot of the ports on http://www.python.org/download/other/ are very
>  old.  (2.1, 2.4, even 1.5.2, etc.).  I think most people will just
>  search for "Python <OS name>" and not come to python.org to poke
>  around.  Can we just drop the page completely?

Very useful page. Converting to wiki is a good idea.

> Now that I look at it, http://www.python.org/download/linux/ doesn't
> really have a lot of content; maybe it can be deleted, too.

It should be redirected to Wiki and Wiki expanded with information how
to get the Python installed for their platform (Ubuntu/Debian), how to
install newer Python (very actual for Debian). Describe Python
environment on these platforms or provide relevant links.
--
anatoly t.