[pydotorg-www] Analytics

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Sun Apr 25 22:18:06 CEST 2010

On 25/04/2010 21:06, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> At work I went to a recent talk on Google Analytics, which provides an
>> impressive number of analyses to track where people are coming from,
>> what queries they're using, how long they stay on average, etc.  But
>> visitors are only recorded if their browser supports JavaScript, and
>> dumping that information into Google raises privacy concerns.
>>
> -1 on Google Analytics, for the privacy reasons. I don't believe you
> need JavaScript in the browser for it to do tracking, but with
> JavaScript, even more information gets collected.

Without Javascript it is very difficult to accurately track users (bots
with browser like user agents get counted - in my experience this
outnumbers by an order of magnitude the number of users with Javascript
turned off). There is also a lot of information that can't be collected
without javascript - whether or not we *want* that information is a
different matter (and in fact the proper reason for us to evaluate
google analytics on).

> Here in Germany, it is the law that users have to opt in to have
> personal data being collected, and IP addresses are considered personal
> information. So strictly speaking, even a plain webserver log without
> user consent is against the law (the one exception being operational
> necessity).

This is irrelevant to Python.org though.

All the best,

Michael