[pydotorg-www] project plan (python.org and navigation)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Apr 25 18:08:33 CEST 2010

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#grid-tables

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#simple-tables
> CSV table directive:
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#id1
> List table directive:
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#list-table

My apologies for selling reST short. I'm not a huge fan of MoinMoin's table
markup (or MediaWiki's for that matter, although it has its advantages), but
it offers (indeed, they both offer) a decent compromise between plain
text "effects" and minimal magic when interpreting what people have written.
In contrast, the "simple tables" of reST are likely to be something that many
people would only attempt to write out the first time and very quickly become
tired of having to keep them updated.

MediaWiki's markup is largely inferior to MoinMoin's, as far as I have
experienced, but its table syntax has certain benefits in permitting
individual cells to be written on their own line. This reduces the amount of
menial formatting work that fancier table representations often demand,
driving people (as I noted) to just writing things out in simpler notations
and thus using less appropriate visual representations.

[python.org's history]

> You seem to be under the impression that somebody will magically do
> this work for you. Won't happen.

Although I think Anatoly sometimes asks a bit much, it's difficult even for
people like me who have experienced the evolution of the site since the
mid-1990s to remember what changed and when, and it's unfortunate that the
details of that evolution are spread out across several places and need
gathering together again. Certainly, any discussions about the changes as
they happened are important in order to review what was done, what people
didn't like, what people probably still don't like, and to avoid making any
similar mistakes again.

Paul