[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Tue Oct 14 03:29:04 EDT 2003

Laura:

>>>http://pollenation.net/assets/public/draft-oct13.html
>>
>I just tried it under konquerer, and it looks really bad.  I've got to
>learn a way to send you the bits of my screen so you can see it, but it
>is nothing like what you are asking for ...
I can tweak things a little when we get some feedback as theres no point
making too many small tweaks only to find out that something needs
changing
and have to go through the whole process again.

The konquerer version you are using in debian stable is 2.2.2 which is 2
years old and did have many css rendering problems. I'll still have a
try to get it usable if possible but can't promise anything. How would
it seem if I used a javascript method for checking for konqueror 2 and
used an alternative stylesheet. This stylesheet could be selected
manualy for people with javascript disabled. This would offer a custom
stylesheet in the same vein as netscape 4. I think this method could be
used to extend the usabilty of the site to close to 100% of users,
albeit with a manual intervention needed for a very small percentage
(automatically applied for those with javascript enabled).

I've also been trying out something else which is not polished yet but
wanted to know what people think.

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/collapsetest

The left hand menu has a collapse text. I don't currently like this
positioning. As it would only really be used at the "document" level, I
thought it could be added to the rhs document level navigation box. It
would also have an associated 'hot key' so power users wouldn't need a
menu item at all. Oh and theres not 'back to default size' on the make
text larger link.

Tim