[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Oct 12 10:51:32 EDT 2003

In a message of Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:56:09 BST, "Tim Parkin" writes:
>Laura :
>>I like
>>a lot as well.  Indeed, I think its wonderful.
>
>:-)
>
>>..I still would like the google text input window to be wider, all over
>>the top of the page, so that the search-widget-thing started, say
>>just over the I in DB-API.
>
>I don't know where that would be as the search box is referenced to the
>rhs and the db-api to the lhs. I'll make it as big as I think the design
>can get away with.. Just as a matter of interest, what is the problem
>with having smaller search box windows?

I get really uncomfortable when what I want to paste into the search
box doesn't fit.  Or when I type in long things.  Here I am being
really precise to limit my search nicely, and I cannot see ...

It really gives me the willies.  Like being blindfolded.

>Just comparing sizes of other major sites :-
>
> Google                 : 208 px
> BBC Homepage           : 180 px
>*Proposed Search Width  : 170 px
> Amazon.co.uk           : 168 px
> Php                    : 162 px
>*Current Search Width   : 154 px
> Developer Works        : 123 px
> Java.sun.com           : 112 px
> News.bbc.co.uk         : 95  px
>
>I'll up it to 170px as any more than that and the python logo and the
>search box will collide at 640 wide (a browser width near to that which
>many people with larger monitors use whilst arranging multiple windows).
>As a side not, this size is also 15% bigger than Jakob Nielsen's
>Recommendations for search box width.
>
>>I'm not so fond of the blue hook at the edge of the search->thing which
>>makes it look like a can-opener to me, but all I want to do is mention
>>that once -- I don't dislike it a lot, and not enough to fuss.
>
>You'll have to enlighten me as I can't work out what that might be..
>Heres a screenshot of what I get.
>
>http://pollenation.net/assets/public/screenshot-oct12.gif
>
>I presume it's a browser bug of some sort. If you can send a screenshot
>of what you have a your browsers type, browser version and operating
>system that would be great.

Yes its a bug.  Its not happening at work, but on myu laptop at home.
Bug me to send you that if I forget.

>>I will fuss about typing window size in search-things.  I want more
>>room, or a good explanation why I shouldn't get it.
>
>I've not problem about making it bigger in this case but would love to
>know why you see it as so important. Taking the java page as an example,
>what problems do you feel the small search window causes or what
>limitations does it place on you? I just want to learn as a convincing
>argument in any situation is always useful.

Having what I type in vanish 'underneath' makes my skin crawl.

I fear we may need a psychologist to explain why ...

>Tim

Thanks Tim.

Laura